DEADLINE: 1 September, 2017
Are you a young emerging leader interested in improving the lives of people and taking Africa to the next level? Application is open for YALI RLC West Africa, cohort-5 online and Cohort 8. The Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) Regional Leadership Center, West Africa was launched by the United States government as a signature effort to invest in the next generation of young African leaders who have the desire to empower their communities, to shape the future of business and entrepreneurship, engage in civic leadership, and to participate in public management.
This innovative, game changing leadership training program will teach young African leaders about modern leadership over a period of 17 weeks. The program will be broken down into four phases – a 5 week coursework phase delivered in-person or online and the remaining 12 weeks distributed equally among a mentorship program, internship or community service, and a report writing period. Focusing on the 5 week coursework phase, it will entail three core courses (Leadership and Accountability, Ethics, and Contemporary issues affecting Africa) and one elective course or track, selected from a sample of three courses covering three themes, namely Entrepreneurship, Public Policy and Management, and Civil Society Management.
Supporting this progress, the in-person training will be hosted by Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration (GIMPA) whereas the online course will be available from any location around West Africa.
- Business and Entrepreneurship: This track caters to the range of emerging or aspiring entrepreneurs who expect to take on leadership roles within the private sector or build their own business ventures on the continent.
- Civil Society Management: This track is oriented to those who are or aspire to be civically engaged and serve the public through non-governmental organizations, community based organizations, or volunteerism.
- Public Policy and Management: This track is tailored to those who work or aspire to work in any level of government (including elected positions), regional organizations such as the African Union or the West Africa Community, international organizations such as the United Nations, or other publicly minded organizations or think tanks.
Why You Should Apply
- The program is fully funded.
- Participants will be taken through various forms of leadership to prepare them for leadership roles in their various endeavors.
- Participants will acquire and understand modern concepts, policies, and practices to effectively manage people.
- At the end of the program, participants will be awarded certificates and become a member of the YALI alumni.
If you are selected to participate in the YALI Regional Leadership Center, West Africa – Accra program, all of the following expenses will be covered by the program:
- Visa to Accra (if required).
- Round-trip travel from your country of citizenship to Accra, Ghana.
- Transportation to/from kotoka International Airport to/from the YALI Regional Leadership Center, West
- Africa – Accra for all non-Ghanaian participants.
- For Ghanaian, transportation to/from the YALI Regional Leadership Center, West Africa – Accra will be provided for from your location of residence.
- Customized academic and leadership course work.
- Accident and sickness benefit plan.
- Housing and meals.
- Stipend to cover miscellaneous costs when in Accra.
- Note that the Program will only cover your transportation costs to and from Ghana if you are residing within one of the countries served by the YALI Regional Leadership Center, West Africa – Accra. If you reside outside the defined region, YALI will only pay the cost of transportation to/from Accra from your country of citizenship and you will be required to cover any additional costs.
Competition for the YALI Regional Leadership Center West Africa is a merit-based and open to young West African leaders who meet the following criteria:
- Are 18 to 35 years of age at the time of application submission,
- Are citizens and residents of one of the following countries: Ghana, Nigeria, Togo, Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Liberia, Sierra Leone, The Gambia and Burkina Faso,
- Are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S.
- Are eligible to receive any necessary visa to Ghana/Nigeria, and
- Are proficient in reading, writing, listening and speaking English.
Selection for participation in the YALI Regional Leadership Center West Africa will be conducted as a merit-based, open competition. All eligible applications will be reviewed by a selection panel. Chosen semi-finalists will then be interviewed before a final selection is made and an invitation to join the program is issued.
Selection panels will use the following criteria to evaluate applications:
- Demonstrated leadership in public service, business and entrepreneurship, or civic engagement.
- Active engagement in public or community service, volunteerism, or mentorship.
- The ability to work cooperatively in diverse groups and respect the opinions of others.
- Strong social and communication skills.
- An energetic, positive attitude.
- A demonstrated knowledge, interest, and professional experience in the sector/track selected, and
- A commitment to apply leadership skills and training to benefit your country and/or community after the program.
- Application is free.
- To apply, visit the YALI Application Page.
- Applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, gender, religion, socio-economic status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.