Are you seeking an opportunity to change the world for the better while simultaneously honing your own skills, gaining knowledge and a better understanding of the realities of international development and peace building? Then apply to become a UN Youth Volunteer.
UN Youth Volunteers are a separate category of UN Volunteers recently created in response to the United Nations Secretary-General’s call for greater engagement in volunteerism of history’s largest generation of people under 30. UN Youth Volunteers help the United Nations – one of the world’s most important intergovernmental organizations – to fulfill its mission.
These young volunteers are assigned to host United Nations agencies to work on the frontlines of political, developmental and humanitarian field operations. UN Youth Volunteers are young people aged 18 to 29 years who want to engage in development and peace initiatives worldwide.
- As a UN Youth Volunteer, you will help advance peace and sustainable development either in your own country or in another country around the globe. You will help people to lead healthier and safer lives and communities to be able to better address present and future challenges.
- UN Youth Volunteer positions are wide ranging; you may work in human rights, climate change adaptation, primary health care, disaster management, peacebuilding, youth engagement or many other areas. You may work directly in a United Nations agency or be assigned to one of its partner organizations, a university or the government.
- UN Youth Volunteers receive a basic living allowance that allows the volunteer to live healthily and safely in the assigned area;
- If you volunteer outside of your home area, return airfare or land transport (as applicable) and some other basic costs are paid by the host agency. You will receive orientation and training before and after your assignment.
- You will be rewarded with an experience that will stay with you for the rest of your life. Your engagement as a UN Youth Volunteer will be an opportunity to change the world for the better while simultaneously honing your own skills, gaining knowledge and a better understanding of the realities of international development and peacebuilding.
- The UN Youth Volunteer programme is looking for motivated and talented youth between the ages of 18 and 29. (Note: you must be younger than 29 throughout the duration of your service);
- The educational background and experience required varies by assignment, but generally work experience over two years is not expected.
- All UN Youth Volunteer assignments to volunteer abroad are advertised here. They also advertise assignments to volunteer in your country. Also they advertise vacancies for youth via Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
- As these assignments go fast, you are encouraged to check the sources above on a regular basis. Details on qualifications and how to apply are included in the advertisement for each assignment.
For more information, visit UN Youth Volunteer Programme.