DEADLINE: 29 OCTOBER 2018
Position: General Services Assistant
Supervisor: General Services Manager
Location: Yaoundé, Cameroon
Opening Date: 19 October 2018
Closing Date: 29 October 2018
The Peace Corps has a position opening for General Services Assistant. The incumbent will work in a fast-paced office and must have a demonstrated record as an organized self-starter able to complete numerous tasks simultaneously and with minimum guidance but equally good working as a team member and providing quality customer service.
Basic Function of Position:
Under the supervision of the General Services Manager (GSM), the General Services Assistant is responsible for Peace Corps’ inventory activity and control activities (to include entries & other updates) and serves as the immediate coordinator of office maintenance staff (to include janitors & gardener); support the administrative and financial management staff (human resources, procurement and financial operations) who provide operational support to program staff members and over 130 community development volunteers serving in Cameroon.
The General Services Assistant will have the following roles and responsibilities;
Major Duties and responsibilities
This includes but not limited to the following;
- Receives, stores, and issues all authorized expendable and non-expendable property and supplies for staff, contractors and Volunteers.
- Inspects all property on receipt from the PC AGSM (Assistant GSM) to ensure it is in good condition prior to entry into the inventory / property control program. .
- Maintains the automated inventory database – Sunflower for PC/Cameroon property and maintains a separate detailed record of consumption of expendable supplies.
- Takes proactive steps in planning visits to all property site locations for periodic and required validation, as well as planning and storing property identified for replacement and auction sale.
- Takes proactive steps in regularly requesting necessary supplies based on stock levels and projected needs, such as:
- International purchases: bikes, water filters, motor helmets, bike helmets, etc.
- Domestic/Office supplies: office stationery, janitorial supplies
- Organize and maintain the storage facilities for ease of property inspections and oversight.
- In collaboration with the AGSM, manage the auction sales in accordance with the PC manual. PC primary point of Peace Corps auction sale is the US Embassy. Management will determine other options if need be.
- Prepares a list of disposable items for ultimately the DMO’s (Director of Management & Operations) prior approval before disposal / auction actions.
- Recover, store (as circumstances may warrant), and ship staff and volunteer personal effects when necessary to their official U. S. home addresses (HORs).
- Assist, as may be called upon, the AGSM, GSM and DMO in obtaining pro-forma invoices for purchases.
- Assists AGSM, GSM & the DMO in establishing, enforcing and communicating inventory control procedures. Establishes an inventory annual calendar, from July to June, to cover Main Office, Official Residences, Volunteer Transit House and Regional Offices.
OFFICE MAINTENANCE OVERSIGHT:
- Work with the photocopier & AC technicians to maintain a regular maintenance schedule.
- Coordinate and oversee routine activities of office maintenance performed by the Yaounde office janitors and gardener as well as prepare and issue Welcome Kits.
– Identify and report promptly to the AGSM & GSM any major office maintenance & repair issues.
– Serve as the point person for the office on office repairs and upgrades that may be performed by outside service providers.
– Ensure that the office and its storage facilities are routinely proper and well maintained.
- Acts as the backup for the AGSM when required and performs tasks to include providing supervision and coordination to drivers, maintaining vehicles, residences, and offices and working in close collaboration with maintenance vendors for all facilities, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Country Director, DMO and the GSM.
- Safety and Security
SSI 110 Standard Security Requirements: Immediately communicates Volunteer safety and security concerns and issues to the Safety and Security Manager (SSM) and CD. Knowledgeable and supportive of Peace Corps safety and security policies and procedures, including the timely reporting of suspicious incidents, persons or articles.
Education: Higher National Diploma (HND) minimum preferred in related field or proven quality relevant work experience may be applied in consideration of education level.
Prior Work Experience:
- At least two year working experience in inventory management and office maintenance.
- Desired Knowledge: Good working knowledge in an international organization or similar systems
- At least a year supervisory experience preferred.
Language Proficiency: Written and oral fluency in English or French and working knowledge, at the minimum, of the other.
Knowledge, Skills, and Attitudes:
- Organizational skills, attention to detail and presentation
- Skill and ability to multitask and prioritize tasks
- Proficiency in use of Microsoft office programs: MS word, Excel, etc.
- Demonstrated experience of cross cultural communication skills is highly desired.
- Ability to work as a team and independently and proactively.
- Ability to work a regular Monday through Friday schedule with impromptu, afterhours, weekend assignments when necessary
- A valid Cameroon driver’s license Category B is strongly preferred
HOW TO APPY:
Interested applicants must apply by sending the following;
- Cover letter
- A resume
- List of 3 professional references (this must contain the name, job title, phone number and email address)
The above listed documents should be in MS WORD OR PDF and should be submitted to [email protected] Indicate “General Services Assistant” in the subject line.
No telephone calls or personal visits. All documents, including your telephone number must be received by October 29, 2018. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
If you have already submitted an application, PLEASE DO NOT REAPPLY. All prior applicant submissions will be considered in the review process