DEADLINE: 15 March, 2019 23:59 WAT
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) received a three-year research grant for “Enhancing Capacity to Apply Research Evidence (CARE) in policy for youth engagement in agribusiness and rural economic activities in Africa” funded by the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD).
IITA is pleased to announce 30 research fellowships for 2019 under the framework of the CARE project. The fellowships are action-oriented and target young academics and professionals, and graduate students at the post-course work/research stage of their programs. The fellowship program seeks to contribute to policy development on youth engagement in agribusiness and rural economic activities in Africa.. It is designed to provide opportunities for the youth by improving the availability and use of evidence for inclusive and “youth friendly” policies on youth engagement in agribusiness and rural economic activities. The fellows will be provided by providing them with funding, technical support and the expertise of IITA’s socio-economics scientists, skills and competencies in social and economic research, and a network of other fellows with whom to exchange ideas.
This is not a one-time invitation for applications, but rather a continuing call for research on this topic till 2020.
- Applicants must be young Africans.
- The research will be carried out in the following countries: Benin, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi, Morocco, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Senegal, and Zambia.
- Applicants must not be more than 40 years old at the time of application.
- Applicants must be young scholars at a research institute or university in Africa or a student registered in a PhD or Master’s program in recognized universities in Africa, majoring in agricultural economics, agribusiness, or economics or a related social science field, and must have finished their university course work.
- The duration of the research should not exceed 6 months.
- Awards for Research Grants are up to $10,000 (Proposals with a reasonable higher budget can also be selected depending on the quality of the research proposal).
- Grantees will be supervised by IITA’s socio-economics scientists in close collaboration with their national/university supervisors.
- Grantees will be offered training on research methodology, data management, and scientific writing.
- Grantees will be offered training on production of research evidence for policy-making.
To apply for the Research Fellowship, applicants must submit the following:
- Completed application form (download application form here).
- Copy of the passport or other statement of citizenship.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV), which includes work history and education. CVs should be no longer than two pages.
- Proof of registration at an accredited university for MSc and PhD programs (for students).
- Proof of employment at a research institute or university in Africa (for young academics and professionals).
Evaluation criteria will include the importance of the proposed policy issue, the strength of the methodological model, and proposed analysis of the study. Additionally, the review criteria will include: Is the policy issue clearly defined? What is already known on the issue? How does the methodology relate specifically to the policy question? Does the analytical plan fit the question and the data? Is the applicant qualified to carry out the proposed study?
Submission of Applications
Applications must be submitted electronically in English or French, by email to [email protected].
Application documents must be submitted as PDF files. The deadline for submission is 23:59 WAT, 15 March 2019. Applicants are encouraged to submit applications in advance of the deadline.
Contact [email protected] if you have questions regarding the application or submission process. All applications will be acknowledged, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
For More Information: