DEADLINE: 25 February, 2018
- Digital Lab Africa a springboard for African talent in multimedia.
- You are an artist, a student or an entrepreneur?
- You have a project in one of these 5 categories: digital music, web creation, virtual reality, video game, animation
- Submit your project and win a 3,000 € cash prize + a Digital Lab Africa Incubation Pass to make your project happen.
- DLA is looking for innovative projects at initial stage of development, in need of partners and financial support.
It is initiated by the French Embassy and the French Institute of South Africa in partnership with DISCOP Africa, TRACE, Lagardère studios and leading companies.
The Digital Lab Africa Call for projects is open to any one, professional or not, from the sector of digital content creation: artists, producers, developers, start-ups, SMEs, collectives, students or entrepreneurs, based in sub-Saharan Africa or a national of a country in this region. It targets developing projects, in need of partners and financial support, innovative projects from the perspective of form, narration, content and technologies utilised.
The objective of Digital Lab Africa is to offer a springboard to the creators of tomorrow’s multimedia productions. The platform will allow creative multimedia projects to come to light with the support of French and Sub-Saharan African partners like Lagardère Studios, ARTE or Triggerfish Animation. The call for projects by Digital Lab Africa focusses on five categories of multimedia productions:
- Web creation/Tansmedia
- Virtual Reality
- Video Game
- Digital Music
- Digital Lab Africa call for projects is open to any professional or individual in multimedia creation: artists, producers, start-up, SMEs, collectives, students or entrepreneurs from Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Participants at the Digital Lab Africa platform must be residents or nationals of one of the sub-Saharan African countries: South Africa, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comores, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Equatorial Guinea, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritius, Mauritania, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of Congo, Rwanda, Sao Tomé and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
The winners will take away:
- a cash prize to the value of 3,000 euro
- an Incubation Pass for Digital Lab Africa to accompany the development phase of their project between May and December 2018
The DLA incubation Pass comprises:– mentorship in the development of projects by the French and Sub-Saharan African partners for each of the categories (studios, producers, broadcasters, distributors)
a period of residence in France within the partner organisation and/or a digital cluster
participation at multimedia reference events.
- All submitted projects should be set down in French or English. They should target an international audience. It is about developing projects, researching partners and financial support.
- The projects should be innovative in form, narration, content or technologies employed.
The following documents should be sent in French or in English
- presentation dossier of the project (5-8 pages maximum):
visual/graphic components, solutions/technological tools, scenario, target audience, budget requirements, financial plan, production schedule.
- beta version/pre-release, a video, a pilot or a demo of the project (if available)
- biography of the principle of the project/ description of the company or collective (300 words maximum)
- photo .jpeg of the applicant who is submitting the project
These documents should be emailed to the following address: [email protected]
Closing date for receipt of projects is 25 February 2018
- The applicants should submit their project at the latest by 25 February 2018.
- The projects will then be evaluated by the DLA selection committee based on criteria ofartistic/technical quality, technological/creative innovation and feasibility/economic potential.
- The selected projects will be announced on 25 March 2018.
- The presenters of selected projects will then participate in the finale DLA Pitch Competition. The pitches (short presentation of each project including Q&A) will take place in front of a jury consisting of French and Sub Saharan African partners and industry professionals.
- At the end of the pitch sessions, the Digital Lab Africa will announce the winning projects for each of the 5 categories.
- Call for projects (25 October 2017- 25 February 2018)
- 25 October 2017 – 25 February 2018: call for projects
- March 2018: selection of projects by the Digital Lab Africa selection committee
- 25 March 2018 : announcement of the selected projects for the pitch competition Pitch competition (date & venue TBC)
- Incubation of the projects ( May-December 2018)
- The incubation phase will roll out during a period of 3 to 6 months between May and December 2018. It will be adapted to the specific needs of the projects and will include a period of residence in France of variable duration depending on the projects, up to a limit of one month.
For More Information: